Monday, September 10, 2007

más fotos, más cuentos

So things are still pretty great here. I feel like I could sit here for an hour and write about all kinds of crazy things, but I won't... for your sake and mine.

Anywhere, here are some highlights.

School started last week and has been pretty good.
The best part? I have 3 hours of class, and the rest of the day is mine. That is amazing.

One day after class last week, Becca and I went to Real Alcazar, which is a huge palace with beautiful gardens. It is free for students to get in. It was beautiful! And, I just kept thinking "this is what I do after school... tour old palaces and hang out in the gardens." Everyone keeps telling me that around November, it's a perfect place to go and read in the garden. And I believe them. I really love the random parks and gardens here. The idea of reading in a park sounds way better than reading in my bedroom.

Here is a picture of me in Real Alcazar. I took it myself. And it's my "OH MY GOSH, I'M IN SPAIN AND THIS IS WHAT I DO AFTER SCHOOL" face.
and here are pictures of the gardens.





Also, about reading. I love the fact that I have so much chill time. I have read 2 books already, and I'm well into the 3rd. I never have time to read in America, so I am loving this. Unfortunately, I only brought 4 books, so I'll have to find some other stuff to read. But it's been good!

Aside from reading, there's lots of awesome stuff to do. Just going for a walk is awesome, because there are so many cool buildings and fun stores around. If there's nothing to do, wandering aimlessly seems to suit us just fine.

One night we went paddle boating on the Guadalquivir. It was awesome, and so relaxing.

We went to a movie theater on Saturday, thinking they were going to show movies in English with Spanish subtitles (our professor told us about a theater that does that, but this was obviously not it). Instead, we watched in Spanish. It was still pretty sweet though. We saw "El ultimátum de Bourne". Luckily, one of us had already seen it, so whatever we missed due to the language barrier, we were still able to understand for the most part. And, the fact that it was an action movie was better, because there was less dialog and more blowing things up. I think that what I didn't understand was also due to the fact that I can't remember the last 2 movies. Anyway, it was a good time, and I felt good when I actually understood what they were saying.

We also went to a bullfight last night. It was crazy. Some of it was horrible, some of it was awesome. Oddly enough, I think that one torero was responsible for the worst fight and the best. The good one was good.. the bad one was so disturbing to watch. I am somewhat intrigued by bullfights. I wouldn't say that I "like" them, but the whole idea is kind of fascinating. I have a few pictures, but my camera battery died during the second fight. Besides, these pictures get repetitive after a while.


angry bull, scared torero.
these guys have guts.
the best/worst torero. this taken during the worst fight.
This is a female bullfighter. I didn't know such a thing existed.


Hmm.. other random things that I think you should know.....

I had to call Angeles on the phone the other day to tell her that I wouldn't be home for dinner. This required me talking in Spanish on the phone. Since I had never done it, I was quite nervous. It's easy to understand Spanish face to face, when you can make gestures and get your point across. But either way, I had to call. I planned out in my head what I had to say, but after I said it, I had no idea what she was saying back to me. I hung up feeling really awkward. Later that night, however, she told me that my Spanish on the phone was "buenisimo" and that she understood me perfectly. So that was good. At least, I got excited about it.

Also, last night, Angeles came in to our room with a newspaper. On the front page was an article about the "high class" neighborhood. It was about our neighborhood, Los Remedios. And the picture on the cover was taken of the corner right outside of our apartment. So, you can all rest easy knowing that I am living a high class life here. And, have I mentioned that I have a cleaning lady? Yeah, she makes my bed every day while I'm at school and puts my shoes in order. I think I could get used to this.

So, things are good with me. I really can't complain!
And yeah, I feel like this blog tells you approximately 1/10th of the experiences that I'm actually having, and it's all so random, but there's no way for me to describe everything that's going on. Just know that it's awesome, and I'm having a great time!

And I might use the word awesome too much. I'll work on that.


¡Que teng
áis un buen día!

No comments: