Monday, September 3, 2007

The one you've been waiting for...

I finally have time to write a real blog!
We just got our internet working here in the house.. which is really nice, because I wasn't expecting to have it at all. What a pleasant surprise!

I live in the neighborhood of Los Remedios, a short 5-10 minute walk away from school. I walk a few blocks and cross a bridge, and the school is right there. This house, or apartment, is pretty big. There are about 5 bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining room, 2 bathrooms, etc. It's pretty nice here! I have a few pictures, you can see them below. They are only of my room though.

My Señora's name is Angeles. She's so nice, and so funny. I like her a lot. There are also a lot of other students here. When we came, there were 3 others, one from Germany, one from Switzerland, one from England, and then Rebecca and I are both from the States. The two girls from Germany and Switzerland just left, and now there is another girl from Seattle, named Asia. We also have a dog, but I am not sure how to spell his name. I think it's Bogui, but I'm not sure. Either way, he provides a great deal of entertainment.

Classes started today. They went really well. We are only taking one class at a time, which is really cool. I think it will be so much less stressful. We have this first class until Sept. 24. We have class every day from 9-12:30, with a half hour break in between. That is pretty manageable, if you ask me.
I was a little nervous before classes started because I wasn't sure what it was going to be like, but now I am more excited than anything. The professor is really nice, and she speaks slowly and clearly, and I was able to understand everything she was saying today. So this is all good news.

I don't really know what else to say. I am really enjoying this city. I think I have about 10 "OH MY GOSH, I'M IN SPAIN" moments each day. It's so hard to believe.

Anyway.. here are some pictures that I know you're just dying to see:


I know it's cliche, but I had to take a few pictures from the airplane. The mountains were so beautiful.


I was admiring the architecture in the Madrid airport. Those poles started out red, and by the end of the building were violet. No 2 poles were the same color. It was awesome.

This is the University of Sevilla. If only Geneva looked like this. And no, this is not my school.


Marissa, this might be my new favorite tree!

And Palm trees... what a strange sight for me.

The Plaza de España. Strangely familiar. Yes, I have been here before! (And we have a group photo in front of this fountain!)


I love the details on the walkway.

And on the bridge.

The Plaza has an area for each province of Spain.. here is the Province of Sevilla.


Check out this high relief bust. Humanities 203 made me appreciate this. But I do not know why this man is important.So I took another picture of El Greco's bust, because I know why he's important.

This is just beautiful.




It was really sunny.


El barrio de Santa Cruz. This might be my favorite place to go. It is so beautiful. ... and it's what I imagine when I think of "Spain".





This picture is from the Patio de Naranjas. And that is the Giralda tower in the background.

La Giralda.

Those are some sweet flying buttresses. Thank you again, Humanities 203.

The Cathedral



Here are a few pictures of my room. My bed is the single bed. There are only 2 of us in this room, even though there are 3 beds and 3 desks.


Sarah.. My desk is on the left, and the desk in the middle is empty. Guess whose stuff is on it.

This is the view from the balcony. at night. And it's blurry.


Jessi, this is for you!

A random street in Triana. I don't live here. But Joanna does. This was pretty much the most gorgeous street I've ever seen.

The beach!!


I have no idea what this thing was... but it's interesting. It looks like an old tower or something that fell over.

Okay.. so that's all I have. But that was a ton of pictures. And it took forever to put them here. Now I am going to go take my SIESTA! (Yes, they are real.. and yes, they are amazing!) After that.. who knows!

Talk to you all soon!
Rachael

No comments: